Aug 7, 2009

Language In YA Novels..Thoughts?

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Friday, August 07, 2009
Ok, this is one thing that really bugs me to no end when reading YA novels. When the characters are of the age 15 + they refer to other people their age that they come into contact with as KIDS. Now I don't know about anyone else, but when I was that age (and it's not like it was that long ago for me) I never referred to my classmates as kids, or a guy as 'boy'...I would say people, or guys and I would never refer to another guy as a 'boy' unless of course they happened to be younger than me. Am I crazy? Does this bother anyone else? I kind of think it gets written like that so much because most often the authors are older than the characters they are writing about and since they are older they refer to them as kids...I don't know, it's just not a word I like in general, because "kids" never meant children back in the day..it use to be used to describe a baby goat, then it became slang to call children "kids"..so I just don't like it, because it's like calling people goats!!! I personally try to avoid using the word, and I like to use the proper word "child, or children" but that's just me...anyways does anyone have any thoughts? Feel free to disagree.
Categories , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei