Aug 27, 2009

Full Moon By Rachel Hawthorne

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Thursday, August 27, 2009

Released June 30 2009
272 pages
2nd book in the Dark Guardian Series

Lindsey is wild and reckless, a natural rebel-maybe because her entire life was laid out for her even before she was born. Her parents are among the most powerful members of the Dark Guardians, an ancient tribe of werewolves, and they arranged Lindsey's betrothal to Connor long ago. The next full moon is coming all too soon, and then her commitment to Connor will be final-no turning back. She should be happy...so why can't she stop thinking about gorgeous, brooding Rafe?
When a dangerous threat on the pack escalates, so do tensions between Connor and Rafe. A fight over Lindsey is imminent, but will it be to the death?


I probably should have posted a review for the first book in the series, Moonlight, but I read it quite a while before I started the blog so I'm not going to bother, but I don't think it's terribly necessary to read the first one first since the 2nd one does recap the first.

So the covers of the Dark Guardian books have large faces on them that I find kind of creepy, especially when you leave the book on the floor then trip over it in the middle of the night and all you see is a face staring back at you..but that's all kind of moot since the cover doesn't affect weather I like a book or not. Now onto my thoughts

Things I liked:

-Nice, easy, short read. The language is not hard to decipher.

-Forbidden love *sigh* is there anything more romantic? The parts where Rafe & Lindsey are alone, and Lindsey is trying to ignore her feelings for Rafe I quite enjoyed.

-Props for the character names, I liked them all, they are different, but not so different that I can't pronounce them. I especially like the name Rafe, as one of my favorite novels (Once Upon A Dream by Katherine Kingsley) has the main character's name as Rafe.

-I never felt bored with the story, which I say is a plus, since it happens in books more than I would like.

-I thought the way Lindsey's feelings where described were accurate, when it came to truly caring about two guys at the same time, how she didn't want to hurt either one of them, trying to please both just ended up hurting herself. I thought it was well done.

Things I Disliked:

-There is a ton of recap, and a lot of explanation that I didn't think was needed since it was explained in the first book. Also some of the explanations of the wolves habits/abilities that was new didn't really need to be there either since you could probably figure out what was going on without it.

-I thought that Lindsey's best friend, Kayla, who is the main character in the first book, was a little annoying in this one, she came off like a mom. Giving Lindsey advice and opinions when it was obvious that Lindsey didn't need it. It's a shame since I really liked Kayla in the first book, and since she didn't grow up with the wolves everything was new to Kayla in the first book, where Lindsey knew pretty much everything about them.

Overall I liked it, I think about the same as I liked the first one but I can't say for sure since it's been awhile since I read it. I look forward to reading the 3rd book Dark Of The Moon, that was released Aug 25.

I give this a solid 3 out of 5, entertaining, but it didn't have anything to go crazy for. I would recommend this series for anyone looking for an easy read, especially if you don't have time to read a longer book.

4 comments:

Juju on August 28, 2009 at 9:28 AM said...

Great review.
Love that you do likes and dislikes.
I gotta check this out.
I'm sorta obsessed with wolves.
The premise makes me think of a book I love called Blood & Chocolate. Have your read it?

rebrebs on August 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM said...

Thanks Juju! I'm still feeling my way so I'm happy to get any kind of feedback.

I have loved wolves for as long as I can remember, have you read Wolf Speaker by Tamora Pierce, in the second in a series but I like that one the most from that series.

I love Blood & Chocolate (the book and the movie, even though the movie was way different) as well as The Silver Kiss. I wish she would write more Wolf or Vampire books.

Jessica Secret on August 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM said...

I thought Moonlight was OK, but I've heard that Full Moon was better. I'm gonna have to try it out. Loved your review and review style!

shutupimreading.blogspot.com
Jessica

rebrebs on August 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei