Aug 9, 2009

Sea Change By Aimee Friedmann - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Sunday, August 09, 2009
Stand alone book
Released June 1 2009
290 Pages


When Miranda Merchant, sixteen and levelheaded, escapes her lonely, hot summer in New York City, little does she know what awaits her. She steps off the ferry onto an island rife with legend, lore, and a past her logical mind can't make sense of. She isn't expecting to feel a connection to this unusual place, so filled with languorous charm and strange history. And when she meets Leo, a mysterious local boy, she finds herself questioning everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship, reality...and love. Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something she never could have imagined?







I was thoroughly disappointed in this one. Let me give you my version of what happens..she goes to the island, doesn't do much, reads a book, then meets a guy they make out. She reads the book some more, meets up with the guy again makes out, reads the book again, then meets up with the guy and they make out, then she leaves the island..the end. I found it boring and I almost couldn't finish the book.






Things I did like, it didn't take place at a high school, as much as I enjoy books that do take place in high school, I always find it refreshing when they take place somewhere else. Selkie Island sounds beautiful and was described well.






There was a character in the book named Macon..not a main character but I had never seen this name before, I am not sure if its pronounced like 'bacon' but with a 'M' or is the 'c' like an 's' and pronounced like Mason..maybe this is a common name in the south but I have never heard of it..it annoyed me a little.






I don't like how Miranda's mother goes through such drastic changes, it's from first person point of view so the reader sees Miranda's thoughts on her mother and it seems like she is a totally different person than Miranda has know for her whole life, Miranda doesn't seem to question this outright and I think that her character should have.






Miranda is described as being logical and scientific, but it's really her own thoughts that convince her that Leo is something other than human, when Miranda has absolutely no proof of this and it's never concretely revealed weather or not he is anything other than human. Why would someone think this at all if they believed in hard scientific facts?






Lastly the relationship between Miranda and Leo is described by Miranda as being "intense" I didn't feel this at all, I thought their relationship felt awkward and forced most of the time.






I hope I didn't give too much away for those who want to read this still, but I just had so many problems with this book I had to voice some of them.






Overall rating 2 out of 5


2 comments:

Lenore on August 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM said...

I recently read that this will have a sequel.

rebrebs on August 10, 2009 at 1:10 PM said...

That's good, everything was pretty vague in this one so hopefully things are explained a little more

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei