Aug 24, 2009

Shiver By Maggie Stiefvater

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, August 24, 2009
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever



Things I liked:

-I loved that it had both points of view in this book. Although I think there was more written from Grace's pov and I would have liked more from Sam's.

-Aside from the dialog the writing has a nice cadence. Almost musical.

-I liked how things like touch and smell was compared to the seasons, summer and winter.

-I liked how Sam came up with lyrics for songs, I especially liked the song he wrote of Grace. Although I would have liked him to play his guitar more.

-The whole concept of the temperature being what triggers the change was new and interesting. I love it when they put a new twist on an old idea.

-I thought Sam was super sweet and caring.


Things I Disliked:

-I thought that both Sam and Grace, but Grace especially, let Beck off way to easily for changing Sam.

-I didn't feel that a whole lot happened, and that the book could have been shorter. I had to fight to finish reading this one, because it just didn't hold my interest. Grace and Sam spend a good deal of time just being with each other and that didn't really drive the story for me.

-I couldn't stand most of the dialog. I would be reading along really enjoying the writing style then someone would say something and it just jerked me out of flow. The dialog felt forced to me. (I am very very picky about this so I am sure I am the only one who feels this way)

-The one thing I hated the most was, when Grace finds out that her Dad was one of the people who were out hunting the wolves, she doesn't really say or do anything. If that were me I would be giving my Dad a very large piece of my mind. That part just made me feel like she didn't love the wolves as much as was supposed to of. Had this part not been in the book I would have rated this higher.

I really really wanted to love this book, but it just didn't grab me in the way I had hoped. I still will probably pick up the sequeal to see what happens though.

Overall rating 2 out of 5
Feel free to disagree, comment below, I would love to hear what you think

9 comments:

Charley on August 24, 2009 at 3:46 PM said...

Have you read Lament? I liked Shiver, and I was excited to read Lament, but I had a surprisingly strong negative reaction to it.

PopinFresh on August 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM said...

Thank you for your honest review. I've heard a lot of great things about Shiver, but it's nice to also read the down side as well.

ps. You have a really great blog. I really love the design.

~ Popin

Juju on August 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM said...

I loved Lament and have been looking forward to Shiver. I can't wait to read it so we can compare notes. :)

rebrebs on August 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM said...

Juju: I look forward to hearing what you think

Popin: Thanks, it means a lot since I'm so new at this.

I was thinking of picking up Lament, but it probably won't be for a while, there are too many new ones coming out that I want to read first.

Sarbear on August 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM said...

Rebrebs, I'm your newest follower! I liked your review format -- it's different than most!

rebrebs on August 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM said...

Thanks Sarbear, I'm glad you like it!

Sarbear on August 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM said...

I gotta say it again -- I love the lists of what you did like and didn't like. Makes it an easy-to-read format.

Sarbear on August 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM said...

2 stars? Dang, I'm worried what if it's over-hyped!

rebrebs on August 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM said...

Thanks again Sarbear.
I think maybe I would have liked it more had I not read so many great reviews, I had such huge hopes for it, but it didn't live up to them for me. But I dunno it's just my opinion, read it and let me know what you think.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei