Aug 9, 2009

Switch By Carol Snow

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Sunday, August 09, 2009
Stand Alone Book
Released Sept 9 2008
215 Pages

Not much happens in Claire's sleepy beach town, but that's okay. All she wants is to hang out with her best friend, make the high school swim team, and convince Nate, the guy of her dreams, to stop calling her "dude". And oh, she'd really really like to stay in her own skin. Ever since Claire hit her teens electrical storms have been making her switch bodies. Usually she is back to her old self in no time. But when something goes terribly wrong, she finds herself stuck as another girl. Not just any girl, but the icy beauty who has caught Nate's eye. Suddenly Clair goes from being Miss Average to Miss Gorgeous--the model-thin blonde that every girl wants to look like and every guy wants to date. Will she ever figure out how to get back to her old life? More importantly, will she want to?

I liked this one, I liked Claire and I liked reading from her pov. Claire isn't really happy with her self image so when she switches in to what she thinks is the perfect girl she decides to have a little fun. Most of the book Claire is in Larissa's body and she gets to see what life is like for someone "perfect" but she soon discovers things about Larissa life that suck compared to her own. She also can see the ghost of her grandmother, so when Claire gets switched to someone else body, her grandmother slips into Claire's body to fill in for her until she gets back. I didn't really like Claire's grandmother, Evelyn, that much. She is more concerned about eating and smoking while in Claire's body than with helping Claire get it back. I just thought it was odd because when Evelyn was alive she had the same body switching problem and she could actually relate to Claire's problems. But aside from that it's a pretty entertaining story, Claire learns and grows when she realizes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It's a light short read, perfect for the summer.

Overall rating 3.5 out of 5

5 comments:

Juju on August 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM said...

Sounds fun. Makes me think of that movie Wish Upon A Star (1996) with a very young Katherine Heigl.

rebrebs on August 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM said...

I never thought of that but you're right, I so love that movie

Amy on August 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM said...

I thought the ending could have been better, but it was a good light story...The cover is very pretty too, so that always helps...Great review! :-D
-amy

rebrebs on August 11, 2009 at 1:17 PM said...

Thanks Amy, I am new at this so it means a lot

Cynthia on August 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM said...

This sounds like a fun read! I feel like I'd be incredibly annoyed if Evelyn was my grandmother. I'd be pretty heated if my grandmother appeared to be more concerned with food than, you know, getting me back in my body ;-)

I remember being obsessed with stories about switching bodies after reading Switched (Fear Street) by R.L. Stine.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei