Aug 6, 2009

Wings By Aprilynne Pike

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Thursday, August 06, 2009
Stand Alone Debut Book
Released May 5, 2009
304 pages


Premise: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.


Written in 3rd person which is always a nice change from the large amount of YA novels written in 1st. Overall I enjoyed this, although when I was only 50 pages in I didn't think I would. I thought her friend/boyfriend (not really clear on where they stand) David was a little boring at first. After reading so many books where the male is the one who is supernatural in some way I was a little disappointed that he was just a regular old human. However, after reading further he soon became my favorite character and I was rooting for him until the end. The other male lead Tamani, I didn't really like. I found him arrogant, pushy, a know it all and just a touch creepy. I don't like it when people influence other people against their will with a power they posses, especially when said person cares about the person they are manipulating. I don't think that is caring at all. Maybe I am little biased because since I fell in love with David. I cannot stand it when the best friend, that would do anything for the girl, who is head over heals for that girl, gets the short end of the stick. It's just so unfair! Laurel could have just as easliy had a female best friend that wouldn't feel so bad when she got a boyfriend.

Another little nitpick I had, which I overlooked in my rating of this book, is the underwater breathing thing David & Laurel do when they are throw in the river. I am not convinced that would have worked, for that long or at all. I would have given this book a 4/5 because I did like the story/adventure but at the last minute Laurel does something I don't really like, she cannot chose between David and Tamani (hmm, wonder where I have seen this before) and instead of figuring that out she kind of keeps both in her pocket..not cool in my opinion. I am sure there will be a sequel where she does eventually make up her mind, but I wasn't all that into the way this book ends. I'm undecided if I will read future books in this series.

Overall rating 3/5

Something semi-related: I have heard that Miley Cyrus is set to play Laurel in the movie based on Wings, although I seem to remember reading that the movie will not have the same title as the book, but things change fast in the movie world.

3 comments:

J. Kaye on August 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM said...

I loved this one way more than you did. Not sure why, but I couldn't put the book down.

rebrebs on August 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM said...

I did really enjoy it, I just have a soft spot for the best friends, it never seems to work out for them

Juju on August 21, 2009 at 7:31 AM said...

I loved this book. I really really did. I gotta buy it.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei