Sep 15, 2009

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Released Oct 1, 2008
480 Pages

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po.

She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone


Things I liked:
-I loved Katsa, she was strong, independent and she just kicked ass.
-Katsa Grace of killing/survival was a really neat concept and I loved learning about it and about all the other graces people possessed.
-I liked that the author chose names for the countries that corresponded with directions, Nander, Sunder, (North, South) etc. It made it easy to follow where they were travelling so I didn't have to constantly look at the map in the front of the book.
-I loved Bitterblue, she was so strong for a 10 year old.
-This book was written in 3rd person which I tend to enjoy more than 1st
-The plot/characters strongly reminded me of the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce, which is a good thing because I love her books and I haven't found anything else that comes even close to her stuff.
-I loved that (spoiler) she didn't end up marrying Po, and that they were happy like that, I thought it fit right.
- I liked the dialog and writing, it was simplistic without being dumbed down overly descriptive, I hate it when authors dumb down stuff or explain things over and over because they are writing for a teen audience.

Things I disliked:
-I thought that the book could have been split into two, a lot was shoved into the last 150 pages or so, and I think I would have preferred it spread out a little more into a sequel.
-I actually hated Po at the beginning of the book and I wanted Katsa to marry Giddon because I liked him better, Po grew on me though, and I ended up enjoying the ending.

Overall I really liked this book, although I really didn't think I would when I picked it up, I'm glad I was pleasantly surprised. It had everything I enjoy in a story, princesses, damsels in distress, girls who kick ass, action, fist fights, hot men, need I go on? A really solid debut book and I look forward to more from Kristin. Although this book is marketed for YA 14 and up I believe, I think this is more suited for older teens/adults it is quite violent for a teen book.

I give this a 4.5 out of 5

7 comments:

Juju from Tales of Whimsy on September 16, 2009 at 6:12 AM said...

Great review! I can't wait to read this.

Jessica Secret on September 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM said...

I won this in a contest awhile back but I still need to read it. I have a library sickness...it's a long story.

rebrebs on September 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM said...

Thanks Juju!


I'd like to know that story Jessica :)

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write on September 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM said...

This is one of my favorite reads this summer. Didn't expect to love it so much! I agree about it being for older teens. I enjoyed the action and violence but it might be too much for the younger folk. I loved her fighting skills. Great review!

Sarbear on September 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM said...

Graceling looks so good -- I can't wait to read it too!

the epic rat on September 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM said...

Haha, I think we read the same books this month :) It must be fate! I loved Graceling and your points are spot on, though I was Team Po from the get-go :) If there had been more Giddon-Katsa interaction, perhaps I would've swayed.

rebrebs on September 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM said...

epic rat, that's so funny we read similar stuff because I didn't really pick them I requested a ton from the library and whichever ones come in are the ones that I have been reading.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei