Sep 8, 2009

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Released Sept 16,2008
400 Pages

From the book jacket: The winds of change are blowing through Thebes. A devastating palace fire has killed the Eighteenth Dynasty's royal family--all with the exception of Nefertari, the niece of the reviled former queen, Nefertiti. The girl's deceased family has been branded as heretical, and no one in Egypt will speak their names. A relic of a previous reign, Nefertari is pushed aside, an unimportant princess left to run wild in the palace. But this changes when she taken under the wing of the Pharaoh's aunt, then brought to the Temple of Hathor, where she is educated in a manner befitting a future queen.
Soon Nefertari catches the eye of the Crown Prince, and despite her family's history, they fall in love and wish to marry. Yet all of Egypt opposes this union between the rising star of a new dynasty and the fading star of an old, heretical one. While political adversity sets the country on edge, Nefertari becomes the wife of Ramesses the Great. Destined to be the most powerful Pharaoh in Egypt, he is also the man who must confront the most famous exodus in history.
Sweeping in scope and meticulous in detail, The Heretic Queen is a novel of passion and power, heartbreak and redemption.

I know I never posted this book as one I was currently reading, I wasn't expecting to read it, but my request for it at the library had finally been filled so I read it as soon as I got it.

Things I liked:

-I found this book absolutely fascinating. The world of Egypt is described in a way that I can easily picture being there.
-It is written from the Princess Nefertari's view, I never got bored of her character and I found her enthralling
-I loved all the court intrigue, I found myself biting my nails, figuratively that is, when people where plotting against Nefertari.
-Even though I already knew the story of Nefartari and how it would end, I was still waiting and hoping that everything would turn out well in the end for her. It just shows how well the author created the world and how involved I was in it.
-It was extremely helpful to have a glossary at the back of the book, I referred to it often. There is also a little historical note from the author at the back which I found interesting as well.

Things I didn't like:
-It was a little long for me, and it didn't really have that "unputdownable" factor, but I pretty much liked everything else.

Overall a very fascinating read and very eye opening to the world of ancient Egypt. I give this a 4 out of 5

On a side note, the marriage between Ramesses ll and Nefertari really was a love match the author was kind enough to include some historical facts at the end and one of them was this. On the wall of her tomb Ramesses had written "My love is unique and none can rival her...just by passing, she has stolen away my heart". I find this so utterly romantic.

3 comments:

Juju from Tales of Whimsy on September 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM said...

O that is romantic!

Makes me think of The Mummy/Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice

http://www.amazon.com/Mummy-Ramses-Damned-Anne-Rice/dp/0345369947

rebrebs on September 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM said...

oOo I haven't heard of this one before, I'll have to check it out

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write on September 18, 2009 at 4:48 PM said...

Sounds like a great romance with a fun dose of history thrown in. Thanks for the review!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei