Sep 16, 2009

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Book One in the Darkest Powers Series
Released July 1, 2008
400 Pages
Source: Public Library

She sees dead people--and they see her.Chloe Saunders used to have a pretty normal life. But that changed on the day she met her first ghost. Locked up in Lyle House, a group home for troubled teens, she finds out that there's more to the home's teen residents than meets the eye. Will Chloe be able to uncover the dangerous secrets of Lyle House... or will its skeletons come back to haunt her?

Things I liked:
-I like the characters, even the ones you're meant to hate.
-It was definitely engaging and I never felt bored reading it.
-Dialog and writing was well done.

-I liked watching Chloe learn to use her powers to talk to ghosts.

Things I Disliked:
-It felt like I only got the first half of a book, there was a ton leading up to the climax during the last few pages and then it abruptly ends. I like cliffhangers just as much as the next person, but this left waaaay too much unsaid.
-Personally mental health facilities give me the creeps and I didn't really like that it took place in one.
-While I did enjoy this book and I don't have a lot of points to make in this section, there weren't very many things that stood and grabbed my interest enough to make note of

Overall I did enjoy reading this, it just wasn't my kind of story. I probably will pick up the sequel The Awakening to see what happens though. I liked this book soo much more than I did Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, which was the first novel I had read by this author, I guess I just like her YA style better. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books that star supernatural beings, although I think this leans to more of a girls read than a guys.

I give this a 3.75 out of 5

10 comments:

Juju from Tales of Whimsy on September 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM said...

You and I had similar views of this book.
I have heard the second book is much better.
So who was your favorite character?
I really liked the Derek.
I hope he turns in to a major hottie who steals Chloe from Simon.

pirate penguin on September 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM said...

You won! :D

pirate penguin on September 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM said...

I liked Derek too. I HOPE he and Chloe get together... I think they'd compliment each other very well as a couple :)

rebrebs on September 18, 2009 at 10:12 AM said...

I loved Derek instantly, I thought he had more depth than Simon. I hope Derek turns into a hottie as he gets older too and ends up with Chloe.

Sarbear on September 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM said...

Dang! I haven't read this one -- mixed reviews : (

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write on September 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM said...

I agree. I liked but didn't love this one. Also didn't like the way it ended - too many loose ends but it did get me to go out and get the second one. I liked it better. I'll be interested to see what you think!

trishalynn0708 on September 19, 2009 at 7:16 AM said...

Great review. I want to read this book..

I wanted to stop in and say thank you for commenting on my blog post The Vampire Dairies Book/Series.
I also wanted to let you know that I just started my first challenge. The Vampire Dairies Challenge. It can be found here:
http://trishasbookshelf.blogspot.com/2009/09/20092010-vampire-diaries-reading.html
Please stop in and take a look and sign up if you would like. :)
Have a great day!

rebrebs on September 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM said...

Thanks Alyssa It'll be a while before I read the next one I think I am like 70th on the waiting list at the library

I'll stop by your blog trisha when I get a chance and check it out. Thanks for letting me know

the epic rat on September 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM said...

Read the sequel! You'll like it better :D The characters come out a lot more, and I thought it's a far more satisfying read.

rebrebs on September 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM said...

I will definitely be reading the sequel just gotta wait until it comes in at the library :)

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei