Sep 30, 2009

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith
336 pages
Released Feb. 17, 2007

Quincie Morris has never felt more alone. Her hybrid-werewolf first love threatens to embark on a rite of passage that will separate them forever. And just as she and her uncle are about to unveil Austin's red-hot vampire-themed restaurant, a brutal murder leaves them scrambling for a chef. Can Quincie transform the new hire, Henry Johnson, into a culinary Dark Lord before opening night? Will he be able to wow the crowd in fake fangs, a cheap cape, and red contact lenses? Or is there more to this earnest fresh face than meets the eye? As human and preternatural forces clash, a deadly love triangle forms and the line between predator and prey begins to blur. Who's playing whom? And how long can Quincie play along before she loses everything?

Things I liked:
-Short chapters, that flowed nicely together. Clever chapter titles.
-Unique outlook on were-lore (there are pretty much every kind of were creature in this book). It's set in a world were the general population knows about were-animals, but done in a way were they aren't everywhere, people still don't see them every day.
-I did enjoy the writing/dialog style.
-I enjoyed how the author incorporated Italian food/menu in the novel, sections of the book had food course names, and she included newspaper help wanted ads for the restaurant.

Things I disliked:
-Quincie's drinking, ignoring her school work, brushing off her best friend all made me grow to dislike her. I really liked her at the beginning but the more I got into it the more things she did I just didn't like. It's hard to read a book that is written in first person from the pov of a character you don't like.
-Quincie's Uncle D, wasn't much of a parent, and it only grew worse worse through the book. I understand why (spoiler ahead) he is a vampire, but what I don't understand is why Quincie doesn't really question it.
-Quincie believes awfully quickly that her best friend she's know her entire life is the bad guy and the new chef she's known a few weeks is the good guy. I am sorry but this just doesn't jive with me.
-The premise implies that there will be a hot love triangle..I say 'what love triangle'?

Overall I really enjoyed the book until about page 250 and spoiler ahead, Quinice is made a vampire which to me made is seem very much like a vampire erotica novel, as soon as that happened I was just thinking that the book could have gone so many different directions why did it go this way? I did end up liking it more than I thought I would but I am thankful I got this one from the library. I give this a 2.75 out of 5

6 comments:

NotNessie on October 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM said...

Like you said, it had its moments, but overall I was really not impressed with this book.

NotNessie on October 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM said...

I like your review, though!

rebrebs on October 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM said...

Thanks, I agree with you, it did have it's moments and there lots of parts I liked but the whole package just didn't cut it.

Juju from Tales of Whimsy on October 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM said...

Great review.
I totally hated her uncle too.

Juju from Tales of Whimsy on October 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM said...

I excused her turning on her ultra-fine-wolf-boy best-friend to being snagged in bad dude's evil web of wine.

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write on October 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM said...

I agree with your review. I wasn't impressed and barely got through it. Nice job with your honest review!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei