Oct 12, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, October 12, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Released October 2008
374 pages
Received mine from: The library

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humaniy and life against love.

Things I liked:
-Katniss, I liked that she was the stronger out of the two (meaning Peeta)
-Rue, she and Foxface probably were my favorite of the tributes (other than the obvious)
-I am undecided if I am team Peeta or team Gale. I like them both but there wasn't much time spent on Gale, so maybe I will have to decide once I read the sequel.
-I liked that the action was spread out throughout the book. Often times I read something and it's just fluff up until the last 50 or so pages then it's just straight action.
-The book had a very Ancient Rome feel to it, which tied into the gladiator games they would have back then.
-The feel of this book kind of reminded me of Graceling by Kristin Cashore, could be because I just recently read it. But I liked the feel this book had and the world that was weaved.

Things I disliked
-It was a little slow to start, and I felt that there were some parts that were overly detailed and I got a little bored with them.
-Spoiler - I didn't like it that the rules of the games were changed after 70 odd years to allow two players to team up just to accommodate Peeta's survival and a love story. Now I love romance, and I in no way wanted him to die..but to me it's just too convenient. Not every book has to have a love story to be popular. The author could have just as easily created a way for the two of them to escape from the games. Throughout the whole time they are in the arena I kept wondering why no one hit a wall or something that the could escape over?
-I thought there were a lot of times where Katniss has flashbacks of times from her childhood, I liked a few, but I thought there were too many and it slowed the story for me.
-I kind of felt that Peeta's personality changed after Katniss and Peeta team up
- Spoiler - I thought that it was weird that no one seemed to mind that the other tributes were turned into some kind of dog at the end of the games. If I was watching that I would be like "What kind of world do we live in that this is ok?". It's one thing to make people fight to the death, but it's another to experiment with them and turn them into something other than human.
-I wanted to know more about what else is out there besides Panem. Maybe that is answered in the sequel.

Overall a really good read. Although it was quit violent. I am pretty squeamish and there were some parts I almost thought were too much, but that's just me. I'm interested to see what the sequel Catching Fire will hold. I give this 4 out of 5

2 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on October 15, 2009 at 8:00 AM said...

I LOVED this book. So glad you liked it.

The wall question is addressed in Catching Fire.

Also, I think that the only people who realized the creatures at the end were the other tributes were Peeta and Katniss.

I loved Rue too.
Such a cool character.

rebrebs on October 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM said...

I'm glad more is explained in Catching Fire, I'm excited to read it.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei