Jan 25, 2010

Up In The Air - Movie Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, January 25, 2010


Premise:
Based on the book of the same name by Walter Kirn.
Ryan Bingham's (George Clooney) job is to fire people from theirs. The anguish, hostility, and despair of his "clients" has left him falsely compassionate, living out of a suitcase, and loving every second of it. When his boss hires arrogant young Natalie (Anna Kendrick), she develops a method of video conferencing that will allow termination without ever leaving the office - essentially threatening the existence Ryan so cherishes. Determined to show the naive girl the error of her logic, Ryan takes her on one of his cross country firing expeditions, but as she starts to realize the disheartening realities of her profession, he begins to see the downfalls to his way of life.

My Thoughts: I didn't really have a lot of expectations for this movie before I saw it because I didn't really do any research into what the movie was about other than watching the movie trailer for it. I have to say though I was pleasantly surprised with it. The performances were excellent. It was funny and charming. I was extremely please with actress Anna Kendrick. I've always thought that her character, Jessica, that she played in Twilight was one of the most believable characters in both of the Twilight movies and she definitely has real acting talent. I would recommend this a movie for a girls night out and it would also make a great date movie. It centres around adult themes so this is geared towards older teens and adults.

Overall I give this movie 8/10
Categories , ,

4 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on January 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM said...

Great review! I've been wondering about this one.

C-Stene on February 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM said...

I really liked this movie. The best part was when Young MC showed up out of nowhere and "Busted a Move"!

Spellboundbybooks Melissa on February 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM said...

This sounds like a good movie. I will have to put it on my list of movies to watch. Great Review by the way :)

KIKA on February 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM said...

Great review! glad you were pleasantly surprised by it, I haven't seen it yet but I wasn't too entertained by the trailor. I just read your comment on "Shut up! I'm Reading" on the book cover of "The Replacement" and what you said about Maggie Steivart I have to admit I totally agree with! Her books aren't my favorite, and her characters aren't either, but you are the first person I've met that doesn't like her writing. I've read Lament and Ballad and have hear so much about "shiver" and "Linger". . . Ill probably still read those to see if I like them.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei