Apr 17, 2010

Heist Society by Ally Carter

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Saturday, April 17, 2010
Kat was born into a family of professional thieves, but after spending her first 15 years learning the tricks of the trade, she decides to leave it all behind to try to lead a normal life. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy to walk away from the family business…

When 5 priceless paintings are stolen from Taccone, an internationally recognized Total Bad Guy, Kat gets pulled right back into her old life. Taccone thinks her father stole his paintings, and he gives Kat an ultimatum: She must either find and return the paintings to him within 14 days, or he’ll hurt or kill everyone she loves. Kat and her team are on the job, but will they be able to pull off the heist of a lifetime?

My Thoughts: I really liked the idea of this story, it had a very Thomas Crown Affair vibe to it. I had a few issues with this book though, for starters I found myself saying things like "who is talking now?", "what are they even talking about", "that doesn't make sense" a lot. I don't know if it was just me but it felt like sentences were missing and I was lost half of the time.
The characters were likable for the most part. I had a little problem with the main character Kat. I found that she didn't have much of a back bone and she was a little flat to me. I think that is mostly my personal preference though and another reader would probably love her.
I did appreciate that this book was written in 3rd person, I'm not sure I would have made it though it if it had been written in 1st, but again that it my own personal preference.
In the end I'm on the fence with this one, I'm not sure if I will read any more by Ally Carter.

I give this book 3 out of 5

1 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on April 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM said...

Nice review. I need to try this one.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei