Apr 1, 2010

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Thursday, April 01, 2010
Source: Purchased

Summary:

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she is being rudely attacked by a vampire to whom she has not been properly introduced! Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire, and the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

My Thoughts:

This book was unlike anything I have ever read before. My first steampunk novel. It was quite refreshing and it made me want to drink lots of tea! It combines two of my favorite genres, historical romance and fantasy. I love the fashion and etiquette during this era and extremely enjoyed reading about it as well. On to the characters, Alexia is spunky, strong willed, and courageous. Lord Maccon is your typical historical romance hero with a little werewolf mixed in. Some of my favorites were the side characters, the trusty butler, Floote. Lord Maccon's second in command Professor Lyall and Alexia's best friend, Ivy, that has a habit of wearing extremely ugly hats. The story kept me guessing and I couldn't put the book down. I can't wait to pick up the sequel, Changless.

I would recommend this to older teens and adults who enjoy historical romance and urban fantasy books.

4.5 out of 5

Parasol Protectorate Series

Book #1 Soulless

Book #2 Changeless

Book #3 Blameless

Book #4 Heartless (June 2011)

Book #5 Timeless (March 2012)

1 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on April 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM said...

Great review!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei