May 2, 2010

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting -- Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Sunday, May 02, 2010
The Body Finder
Author Kimberly Derting
Young Adult

Summary:
Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. It had everything a book should have, romance, suspense, mystery, a supernatural ability to find dead bodies...
I was actually really impressed by this story. It was well thought out, it had a nice pace, it was written in third person (which I so prefer). The characters were easy to relate to, Violet reminded me a lot of myself at that age and the scenery was described perfectly (being from the pacific northwest myself I always love a good story that takes place in the forest here). And let me tell you the kissing scenes were hot! I had to fan myself with the book a couple of times! I can't tell you how much in love with Jay I am right now. I was really not expecting there to be a lot of romantic interaction in this book since it was about a serial killer but it had just the right amount to keep me turning those pages fast and furiously.
This book was so refreshingly different from a lot of what's out there right now. It was nice to see a book about a girl that was strong, had a good relationship with her parents, and she fell in love with her best friend. How many YA books now a days has the main character have only one parent, or divorced parents? Or how the best guy friend is in love with the main girl but she is in love with the new guy, and she just leaves her best friend high and dry? Too many to me it seems. Anyways I definitely it would recommend this book to any YA fantasy lover looking for a romantic/suspenseful read.
I give this book 4.5 out of 5

2 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on May 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM said...

Great review! I agree. There is allot of silly girls falling for the new guy and abandoning their hot boy-next-door best friend.

Cara! on May 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM said...

I love hearing your take on this! I also found the storyline very refreshing, and loved how strong Violet was. If I read one more about one more 'damsel in distress' I might scream, which made The Body Finder perfect! (c:

Have a great day!
-Cara

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei