Jun 21, 2010

The Agency, Spy In The House by Y S Lee - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, June 21, 2010
Be Warned there are spoilers!

The Agency: Spy In The House
Author: Y S Lee
Released March 2010
352 Pages

Summary: Mary Lang, had a hard childhood. Forced in to thievery on the streets of London in the 1800's she is caught and is about to be hanged. Anne Treleaven runs a school for girls and rescues Mary from the noose. Fast forward a few years and she is now 17 and doesn't quite fit in to the quiet life of needlepoint and embroidery. Anne then revels the true purpose behind the school. They are a secret private investigation firm know as The Agency. Mary jumps at the chance to become an agent and is fast given her first assignment. She is to pose as a paid companion to the daughter of a wealthy business man. Mr Thorold is suspected of smuggling and fraud and Mary is placed within the household to find out anything she can about this so he can be brought to justice. Along the way she meets James Easton. James' brother George is in love with Angelica Thorold and wants to marry her. James has heard rumors of Mr Thorold's shady business dealings and has begun his own investigation as he does not want his brother George to marry Angelica if it's true. James and Mary soon team up to find what they can. Will Mary be able to solve the case?

Pros:
- I loved everything about this book. It has a little romance, mystery, suspense, pirates, a prince in disguise! Ok, there was no prince, but this book had a lot and it was all woven together quite nicely.
-I LOVED Quigley, I was sooo upset when he died, and the murderer got off scott free..even though he died, I still put him in the Pro column because I just loved the character. He reminded me a bit of Short Round from Indiana Jones.
- The chemistry between James and Mary was fantastic. And I liked that they did not end up together in the end. It was way more realistic that way and it would have been too neat had they ended together. In fact I loved they way the book ended the last scene was perfect.
-Mary was such a strong character, she didn't let men walk all over her and she was smart and independent. She did make mistakes but it was her first mission after all and she is still learning so it did make sense.
-I like that the author showed a side of London not normally written about in these kinds of books. I read a lot of historical romance and I don't think I have ever read one that show the underside of London like Lee did. I was glad to see something new and another side of London in the 1800's.
-Lee gets props for being Canadian! I love finding new Canadian authors.
- Oh I almost forgot, the twist near half way through, at least that's when I figured it out, I had no idea that Mary was half Chinese, I did not see that coming and it was an interesting development.

Cons
-I can't really think of any cons, except that Quigley won't be in the next book!

I give this book 5 out of 5
I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical mystery/romance or anyone who enjoyed Heist Society by Ally Carter

Book 1
The Agency: Spy In The House

Book 2
The Agency: The Body At The Tower (Out Aug 2010)

5 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on June 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM said...

No cons? You make me want to read this right now :)

Okie on June 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM said...

This sounds like a great fun book that both my wife and I would enjoy. Will have to look it up.

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice and good book...I think my boyfriend and I can read it together.

Anonymous said...

mind as well read it

Anonymous said...

Not enjoying this book , skimmed through the first 100 pages until it finally got interesting . Having troubled getting into it .

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei