Jun 15, 2010

Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia
Released May 2010
Young Adult

Summary:
Teagan meets her guardian angel, Garreth, who she knows has always been around but never really thought about it until he's standing in front of her. He only has 8 days to spend with her and in that time he wants to show her how much she means to him. He also comes to warn her of Hadrian. Hadrian used to be a guardian angel but was corrupted and is taking over good guardian angels. Hadrian is after Teagan (I'm not really sure why, something to do with her father, I was a little unclear on this..am I the only one?)Garreth and Teagan need to find a way to stop Hadrian before Garreth's 8 days are up.

My thoughts:
Pros- This was a fast paced book with lots of action, suspense, mystery. It was quite dark, so if you're looking for a book that's light with comedy you won't find it here. The book takes place over a period of 8 days so only the essential info is there which I like, no spots where I felt it dragged.
-The main female character Teagan is definitely a pro, she's strong and soft at the same time.
-The main male character, Garreth, was my favorite. He had some really good lines.
-This book was well written and well paced.

Cons-I was left with quite a few questions. Not of the plot, but more of what the angels in Murgia's world are and their relationship to their charges, how the good angels became bad, how her father was connected to Hadrian, and what Teagan became, why she was special etc. I would have liked a little more details on that.
-Hadrian, the dark angel bad guy. He was a really good bad guy and I liked his character, but the author made Teagan have some feelings for him. This makes me wonder why can't a bad guy just be a bad guy? Why do we have to have Team Garreth and Team Hadrian, can't we just defeat evil and move on to the next step instead of going back and forth with a love triangle. I'm not really saying that this particular book had a love triangle..a little, but not really..it just feels like it might go that way in the sequel and it seems like a lot of books go that way lately and it's getting a little boring for me.

I give this book 4 out of 5
I would recommend this book to anyone who liked Twilight but is looking for something that is better written and has a female protagonist that you'll actually like.

4 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on June 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM said...

Awesome review. You have a very good point about the recent love triangle trend ;)

BookRants on June 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM said...

^thanks Juju.

Jennifer on June 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM said...

What a nice review! And I am honored to be compared to cheesecake!

BookRants on June 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM said...

Thanks for visiting! Cheesecake is above all other desserts I think.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei