Jul 7, 2010

Fallen by Lauren Kate - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Released Dec 2009
Genre: YA
Rating 3 out of 5

My cover blurb: "A dark, emotional tale"

Summary:

Fallen

Some Angels are Destined to Fall

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.


Pros:
-Written in 3rd person, which I prefer.
-The cover is amazing, I may just have to buy book 2 for the cover alone.
-I really enjoyed the supporting characters, Gabbe, Penn, Arriane.
-Angels are dead sexy these days. I've always had a fascination with them. But sadly there was not enough winged action in this book.
- Cam & Daniel were well thought out and were enjoyable to read.
- Well written, flowed nicely.

Favorite Quote "Her heart was pounding impossibly fast. Then she realized She was feeling both of their hearts, racing each other. A kind of desperate conversation, one they couldn't have with words."

Cons:
-While there was nothing really overly wrong with this book, it felt like I have read it before, like it's the same old thing out there.
-I was so completely frustrated that Luce learned nothing, so we, the reader, learned nothing. Anytime that Daniel would attempt to explain anything it was all very vague. And any explanation was already 2/3 through the book. Not a lot happened near the beginning. I was hoping for a more "fantasy" type book. You would not even know that the book had anything to do with angels until around page 400, other than it being written on the back of the book.

After reading two books I really enjoyed that had a lot of action, this seemed like a let down for me. But I do think this was a well written book and many would enjoy, especially for those of you who liked Twilight and Hush Hush.

I give this 3 out of 5

Book #1 Fallen

Book #2 Torment (Sept 2010)

5 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on July 8, 2010 at 8:03 AM said...

Great review. I must try this one.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on July 8, 2010 at 8:04 AM said...

I do so love stories set in Savannah.

Rebs @ Book-Rants on July 12, 2010 at 8:55 AM said...

I've never been to Savannah, it sounds hot and muggy. I don't think I would enjoy it. I like my west coast weather :)

Caitlin on July 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM said...

Saw you on Follow Friday :).. I am trying to read this book too I have been for a while, I loved your review it sums up everything I'm feeling too and I'm not even done with it yet.

Kelly aka yllektra(I Work For Books) on January 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM said...

I liked this book a lot, but sadly it didn;t stay with me.. I got Torment and now I have to re-read this to follow! :P

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei