Jul 26, 2010

My Love Lies Bleeding (Hearts At Stake) by Alyxandra Harvey

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, July 26, 2010
My Love Lies Bleeding
(Hearts At Stake) by Alyxandra Harvey
Release: December 2009
Rating: 3.75 out of 5
Genre: YA Fantasy

My Cover Blurb: "Witty Good Vampire Fun"

My Summary:
Told from two POV's. First, Solange, daughter of the Drake vampire clan, meant to full fill a prophecy and rule the Vampire Clans. Solange would rather hang out at home with her family and has no desire to pursue the crown. Lady Natasha the current ruler thinks Solange is a threat and will stop at nothing until Solange is dead. Second, Lucy, Solange's human best friend, is a feisty girl and wants to help protect Solange. Both Lucy and Solange find love interests amongst all the action, Solange, a vampire hunter, and Lucy, Nicholas, Solange's older brother. Lucy and the Drakes must find a way to stop the vampires from trying to kill Solange and keep them safe while figuring out how to deal with their blooming relationships.

Pros:
-I absolutely loved Lucy, and I feel that the book could have been written entirely from her point of view. I found the chapters that were from Solange's point of view a little boring and Solange herself was a little flat for me.
-Nicholas, the ever overprotective brother has always had a thing for Lucy but never showed it until Lucy and Nicholas are thrown together. Their relationship makes sense, where I found Solange and Kierin's (the vampire hunter) relationship created just because there had to be a love interest for her.
-The mythology was well formed and the back story for the history of the Drake clan brought to light at a good pace.
-Lots of action in this book kept me reading.
-No complaints about writing style.
-The author get's props for being Canadian!


Cons:
-I couldn't get behind the relationship between Solange and Kierin. One minute he hates vampires, the next he's cutting open his wrist to save Solange. It just didn't seem like a likely pairing.

Overall an enjoyable read. I will most likely pick up the second one and I'm hoping there will be lots more Lucy as she is really the reason I would keep reading the series.

I give this a 3.75 out of 5

Drake Chronicles

Book #1 Hearts at Stake / My Love Lies Bleeding

Book #2 Blood Feud

Book #3 Out for Blood (Dec 2010)

2 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on July 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM said...

Great review!

Kelly aka yllektra(I Work For Books) on January 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM said...

I just found your blog and I think it looks great, plus I love your style of reviewing with pros and cons! XD

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei