Jul 5, 2010

Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, July 05, 2010
Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch
Released April 2010
Genre: Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5

My Cover Blurb "After reading this you'll want to be touched by an alien too."

My Summary:
Katherine "Kitty" Katt was just finishing jury duty when a man in front of the courthouse raged and turned into a hideous beast. Kitty reacts instinctively and stops the monster. When what she assume are government officials show up.. all very attractive government officials, she's gets involved more than she's bargained for. They are aliens from another planet trying to stop a parasitic race from turning humans into monsters. Kitty and alien agent Jeff Martini must team up to save the world.



Pros:
-I'm not generally a fan of books with aliens, but I'm definitely glad I gave this one a try. It had similar vibes to a lot of urban fantasy books
-This was a fast paced, hilarious good fun, girls kick ass adventure. Loved every minute of it. Could not put it down.
-Gini Koch can write, everything flowed together nicely and she clearly has a great eye for detail. While there were some parts that I think went over my head I was still impressed by the imagination of this author.
-The characters were great, every one of them from the hero and heroine, Jeff Martini and Kitty Katt, to the side characters, Christopher, Paul, Reader, Mr and Mrs Katt and so on. I don't think there was a character I didn't like. Well, except the ones you're supposed to hate, i.e Yates, Beverly.
-I loved the Christopher, Jeff, Kitty triangle. I almost kind of wish Christopher ended up with Kitty, but I know it never would have worked out between them, but I hope that Christoper gets a happy ending one of these days.
-Love this cover art done by Dan Dos Santos, you may recognize it as he has done the covers to the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs


Cons:
-Felt that Kitty and Jeff had sex too quickly after meeting. I would have liked Jeff to have to work for it a little more. I mean if I just met a man from an alien planet I'd probably put a little more thought into it, especially if during the first few days our meeting we were fighting for our lives. I think sex would be the last thing on my mind. Not to mention you wouldn't be aware of any species issues, like does human birth control even work with an alien man?
-Too much sex for me, I like some but only to the point where you got to use your own imagination to fill in the rest. I guess I'm just a prude that way.
-Jeff calls Kitty "baby" as an endearment, let me tell you this one of my biggest pet peeves, I find it kind of derogatory and if anyone called me that I would smack them upside the head

Other than the few mentioned cons, this book was great and I will definitely be picking up the sequel. I would recommend this book to anyone who's a fan of Patricia Briggs or Linda Robertson. I give this 4 out of 5

Book #1 Touched by an Alien

Book #2 Alien Tango (Dec 2010)

2 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on July 6, 2010 at 8:07 AM said...

LOL
I love "baby" ;)
But then, I like super macho dudes.
Probably because I'm one tough cookie and that's what it takes to tango with me ;)

Great review.
I hate when there's too much sex too.
In book, I prefer romance over sex any day.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on July 6, 2010 at 8:07 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei