Aug 11, 2010

Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff
Genre: Adult Sci-Fi
Released: (2000)
Rating: 5 out of 5

My Cover Blurb: "Action Packed Adventure, I Couldn't Turn The Pages Fast Enough!"

Summary:In the distant future, humans and several other races have been granted membership in the Confederation--at a price. They must act as soldier/protectors of the far more civilized races who have long since turned away from war....

Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr was a battle-hardened professional. So when she and her platoon were yanked from a well-deserved leave for what was supposed to be "easy" duty as the honour guard for a diplomatic mission to the non-Confederation world of the Silsviss, she was ready for anything. Sure, there'd been rumours of the Others - the sworn enemies of the Confederation - being spotted in this sector of space. But there were always rumours. The key thing was to recruit the Silsviss into the Confederation before the Others attacked or claimed these lizardlike warriors for their side. And everything seemed to be going perfectly. Maybe too perfectly..


Pros:
-I love strong female characters and Torin Kerr is just that. How could she not be? After all she is a Staff Sargent in the marines! Which is so bad ass!
-Every character was fantastic, although me being who I am had trouble keeping them all straight, I can never remember which species which person was, I always seem to find that with Sci-Fi novels. I have the worst memory!
-World building was awesome, enough to figure out what's going on through out the book, but without all that info dumping we readers hate
-Tanya Huff gets extra props for being Canadian, and manages to make a reference to poutine in the novel even though doesn't take place on Earth!

Cons:
-hmm, I find Tanya Huff novels difficult to find fault with..I haven't read one that I didn't like.
-The only negative I have is I'm not a fan of the cover..Sci-Fi covers don't really seem to be the greatest it seems, but that doesn't have anything to do with the author.

Overall: I really enjoyed this book, I probably wouldn't have picked this up had it been written by someone else, as I don't generally read Sci-Fi, but I love Tanya Huff's Blood Books, so I decided to give this one a go. It did not disappoint. Action, adventure, and just a touch of sexual innuendo makes for a great read. I'd highly recommend for any Sci-Fi lover, especially for people who love strong female characters. Would be ok for older teens, there isn't much in the way of sex, there is some violence, they are fighting a war after all, but nothing overly gruesome. I will definitely be picking up more in this series!

I give this 5 out of 5

Valor Confederation Series

Book #1 Valor's Choice

Book #2 The Better Part of Valor

Book #3 The Heart Of Valor

Book #4 Valor's Trial

Book #4 The Truth of Valor (Aug 24 2010)

1 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on August 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM said...

Great review!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei