Jan 25, 2011

Summon the Keeper by Tanya Huff - Review

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Summon the Keeper by Tanya Huff
Released May 1998
Genre: Adult Urban Fantasy
Rating: 5 out of 5

My Cover Blurb: "Hilarious good times"

Summary: Being one of the Earth's protectors is never easy, but when Claire the Keeper and Austin the cat find themselves in charge of the Elysian Fields Guesthouse Bed and Breakfast, all Hell breaks loose in the form of a gateway to hell residing in the basement!

Claire is a Keeper, If I were to describe what a Keeper is to someone who hasn't read the book, I would say a Keeper is similar to a good witch. They are called to close breaks in the universe, breaks between our world and a world of evil and they use their magical gifts to do it. She is called to a B&B with a rather large break to hell in the basement, the break has been temporary sealed by previous Keepers but was never closed all the way, and Clarie must figure out a way to close it permanently before evil can find a way to break loose.

Review:
It's a fun read if you're looking for something humorous that is not overtly obvious a typical Urban Fantasy. I would say the genre 'urban fantasy' hasn't really be around all that long and this was written before there was a particular definition for it, so it has hints of romance, fantasy, humor in a way that I haven't really seen in the recent urban fantasy novels that are out there.

I really enjoyed the pace of the plot, but I have read a few reviews that feel differently. For me I was enjoying the characters so much that I didn't really feel the need for there to be some dire thing happen and Clair would have to come to the rescue for. It was more little humorous things that would occur, such as discovering a ghost, and the sexual tension with Dean, the ridiculously handsome handy man, and supernatural guests that have come to stay. But still Clair would be trying to figure out a way to solve the reason she was called to the guesthouse in the first place, closing the hole to hell, and I never felt that this wasn't being addressed throughout the book. I liked every minute of Claire's adventure and I felt that she had done some growing by the end of the book, although Claire is far from perfect so she has some room to continue growing in the books to come.

Overall I would highly recommend this book for any fan of Gini Koch as I find the tone of the novel to be similar to Koch's Alien books.

I give this 5 out of 5


Chronicles of the Keeper

Book #1 Summon the Keeper

Book #2 The Second Summoning

Book #3 Long Hot Summoning

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having read this entire series back in the day and both of Gini Koch's books - - twice each, might I add - - I have to agree wholeheartedly with the comparison. Either series packs in a lot of great reading and laughs. I have to admit, though, that I give Gini Koch's Alien series the lead by a fair amoount.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on January 29, 2011 at 5:49 AM said...

Hilarious good times? Fun. This cover might have scared me away without your review.

Rebs @ Book-Rants on January 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM said...

@juju yeah the covers on her older books aren't that great. I probably would never have picked up anything by her if I hadn't seen the tv show Blood Ties, which is based off of Huff's Blood Books series.

Maya on April 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM said...

I LOVE these books, they're hilarious! The cats make the story, I think, but the books are still wonderful, regardless. Great review!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei