Jul 6, 2011

Review - Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, July 06, 2011
Dark Descendant by Jenna Black
Released: April 2011
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: 5 out of 5
Pages: 336
Source: Purchased (BookDepository.com)
Sexual Content: None

My Cover Blurb: "An Exciting New Twist on Old Mythology"

Summary:

Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can’t die. . . .

Crazy as it sounds, Nikki’s manhunting skills are literally god-given. She’s a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki’s new “friends” include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she’s a spy.

But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal battle of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she’ll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy. . .


My Thoughts:

Wow am I ever glad I took a chance on this one! I saw a good review for this somewhere and decided to pick it up, I knew Jenna Black had written some YA books and really had no interest in those but this one piqued my interest enough to try it.

This is excellent! I must say I loved ever minute of this one and so glad I found a new series that I just can't wait for! It seems like I've been reading a lot of books lately with the main character being a P.I. But so far every one I have read has had a different twist to it.

This book was quite a bit different to what I have been reading in UF lately, this having ancient god mythology etc. Lately I've been reading a lot of vampire/witch/werewolves/fae type stuff and this was a nice change of pace.

Nikki Glass becomes immortal quite by accident, she gets put right in the middle of two warring immortal clans. The good guys don't trust her, they think that she killed one of their own on purpose (killing an immortal makes you immortal yourself), and the bad guys just want her so they can use her/her gifts.

I loved the immortals in this, they can feel pain and get hurt, although they heal, it does take some time. If they couldn't get hurt it wouldn't make a war between the clans too interesting. There was a bit a violence in this but it wasn't too much. There was always action the story was always moving forward.

Overall I really enjoyed this and would recommend to any urban fantasy lover.

Descendant Series

Book #1 Dark Descendant

Book #2 Deadly Descendant (May 2012)

3 comments:

Jenny on July 6, 2011 at 8:11 AM said...

Ooo this does sound good! I haven't read any of her YA series either, but I did just read a short story from her Morgan Kingsley UF series and really enjoyed that, so I think I need to add this series to my list too!

Christina (Christinareadsya) on July 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM said...

I really love Jenna Black's YA Faeriewalker series and am glad you reviewed this because I've been thinking about checking out her other work. It definitely does sound like a new twist on old mythology and I love urban fantasy so I will have to peruse this one :). Thanks for the review!

Rebs @ Book-Rants on July 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM said...

Thanks for visiting!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei