Jul 27, 2011

Review - Hunting Kat by PJ Schnyder

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Hunting Kat by PJ Schnyder
Released: July 4, 2011
Genre: Sci-Fi Romance
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
25,000 words
Source: Provided by NetGalley in eBook format
Sexual Content: Two detailed sex scenes

Summary:

As a mercenary, Kat Darah doesn’t have to pass for a normal human. On the edge of the solar system, she’s just another biped. Most of the time.
Nearing the end of his military tour, Lt. Christopher Rygard debates the idea of hanging up his uniform for good. Looking for answers at the bottom of a glass of scotch, he meets Kat. One shared night of mutual desire seems harmless. But when their tryst is interrupted by attackers hunting Rygard, Kat must reveal her other form, the predator beneath the human fa├žade. Together they embark on a dangerous mission—a race against time to meet the enemy’s demands, while trying to deny the passion between them. Rygard is faced with a terrible choice in the face of duty: Report the existence of a human turned shape-shifter. Or forget he ever met her.


My Thoughts:

I would think that some would says that the story line of this book is the romance, and yes that definitely has a big role to play in this, but I loved the parts surrounding it. There was quite a bit of action and the story never dragged. It never had any of those moments where the romance makes you want scoff and say 'that's just not believable'. The characters were real, and I felt that where the relationship ends up was right on. I was also surprised by how rounded the characters where. Especially Kat, the main character, she was strong, but she had her flaws and I could see her grow as a character.

Because this was a short read, we don't get a lot of world building, but I felt it wasn't needed. I could easily picture their space ships and space stations. It gave me a Firefly/Battlestar Galactica feel, which of course are two awesome shows that take place in space so I found the world of Hunting Kat to be right on par.

I've never read a Sci-Fi Romance before, generally I'm pretty picky about what type of romances I read because I tend to get bored with the sex scenes in them. Not that I'm against there being sex in books, it's a very personal preference for me, but I feel that in most cases that the sex goes on too long and into too much detail. Now this book does have sex in it, and I thought it did go on a little long, and I did think that having the two main characters jump into bed with each other shortly after meeting was a little silly, but all of that aside I really did enjoy the story line of the book.

Overall I'm really glad I was able to read this, it's not something I would normally pick up, but I definitely think it has cross over potential for those who like Paranormal/Fantasy Romance. I will be looking forward to more from PJ Schnyder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei