Aug 23, 2011

Review - Matched by Ally Condie

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Matched by Ally Condie
Released: Nov. 2010
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Rating: 3 out of 5
Pages: 384
Source: Public Library
Sexual Content: None

Summary:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


My Thoughts:

I had really high hopes for this book based on so many excellent reviews, but I was a bit underwhelmed with this one. It reminded me quite a bit of A Brave New World which I read in high school English class long ago. I think I have come to accept that dystopian books like these just aren't for me. Reading about a society with so much control over the people made me feel claustrophobic and it just not something I enjoy. I love strong, tough, kick ass heroines, and in a setting like this that would be impossible. I didn't enjoy the voice of the story either. Reading from Cassia's point of view felt like reading from a 12 year olds POV, when she's supposed to be 17. I'm not sure if that was intentional, because of the way people are raised in this world. Everything is mapped out for you, you have no choice, no knowledge of anything outside of what is chosen for you, I suppose it would make a person sound more innocent, more "young", but it bothered me.
Another pet peeve I had about this book, were the words that were capitalized. Words like, Official, Officer, City Hall, Society, Match, etc. I understand that it was to show the importance of the words in this world, but I still thought it was unnecessary. Overall the story line was just not something for me, but I think fans of The Hunger Games would definitely find this entertaining.

Cover Thoughts:
I love the look of this cover and it is partly what drew me in, also the cover for the next book, Crossed, is gorgeous.

Matched Series:

Book #1 Matched

Book #2 Crossed (Nov 2011)

Book #3 TBA (2012)

2 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on August 25, 2011 at 6:25 AM said...

I'm so sad you didn't dig it. I loved it.

CZ on January 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM said...

I agree, I was underwhelmed. I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the sequel.

Lovely blog!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei