Aug 3, 2011

Review - Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow
Released: July 2008
Genre: Adult Urban Fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5
Pages: 352
Source: Public Library
Sexual Content: References to Jill's streetwalker past but no actual sex scenes.


Summary:

Not everyone can take on the things that go bump in the night.

Not everyone tries.

But Jill Kismet is not just anyone.

She’s a Hunter, trained by the best – and in over her head.

Welcome to the night shift…

Jill Kismet is a professional hunter, they hunt all things supernatural. The general public aren't aware but the police force and some government officials know, and they are the ones that call Jill in. Jill is also special, she's made a deal with a hell breed, he gives her extra strength and speed in return she must speed some time with him doing whatever he asks. When a particularly bad rogue-were starts ripping up people in her town Jill and a were tracker, Saul Dustcircle are called in to put a stop to it. But there is more going on with this were than anyone could have guessed.


My Thoughts:

I have mixed feelings about this one. One the one hand I loved Jill Kismet, she was tough, gritty, and a no nonsense kind of women, exactly the kind of heroine I want to read about. She also has a little bit of softness just underneath her hard shell. It felt like I was there when she had flashbacks of her teacher and her hard life as a street walker before she became a hunter. I like that she showed a little of this softness even though she tried her hardest to keep it hidden from her friends.

On the other hand, the world this story takes place in I had a hard time wrapping my head around. I spent the first half of the book thinking that I was not reading the first in the series that I was missing some part of the story that explained more about this world. When I finally accepted that there wasn't any previous books and just let it wrap around me I found I started to like the world more and more. There were times when reading I couldn't decided if I loved this or hated it, it kept me shifting my emotions which I think was a good thing, because it kept me guessing and I didn't know what was around the bend.

The ending was bittersweet, Jill knew that the hellbreed and rogue-were that she was hunting had to be stopped but at the same time she understood there was more to them than first met the eye and it was hard to watch (read) as their lives came to an end.

Overall I really enjoyed Night Shift. Mostly for the characters themselves, especially Jill and Saul. I would recommend this for those who love hard core action urban fantasy, there was quite a bit of violence and not much in the way of romance. I will definitely be buying this series and will be trying others from Saintcrow.

Jill Kismet Series

Book #1 Night Shift

Book #2 Hunter's Prayer

Book #3 Redemption Alley

Book #4 Flesh Circus

Book #5 Heaven's Spite

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei