Sep 19, 2011

Early Review - Kiss Of Night by Debbie Viguie

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, September 19, 2011
Kiss Of Night by Debbie Viguie
Released: Oct. 07, 2011
Rating: 4 out of 5
Genre: UF/PNR
Pages: 304
Sexual Content: Some Kissing
Source: NetGalley - Publisher: FaithWords

GoodReads Summary:

Centuries ago, Raphael was a blasphemous knight who fought in the Crusades purely for his own mercenary benefit, and to satisfy his taste for killing. Now, condemned for his evil passions and hypocrisy, he wanders the earth a vampire, cursed with first-hand knowledge of the supernatural world he once denied existed. The powerful relic he still possesses from his days as a Crusader has been stolen by a rival vampire who has recruited an army of soulless underlings to aid him in spreading evil. At the time he learns this, Raphael has been hunting this vampire for nearly a century, and it seems the final battle is destined to take place in Prague.br For help in this quest, Raphael must enlist the aid of two humans, David and Susan, who suddenly find themselves immersed in a world they never imagined, entangled with supernatural forces they can't control. Susan, in particular, finds herself conflicted as she struggles with her inexplicable attraction to Raphael. In the end, both Susan and Raphael will be called upon to exercise courage and faith, and in the process, the question, "What would happen if a vampire truly accepted God?" is answered.

My Thoughts:

+ Story - I loved this story line. A war between good and evil is coming and Susan's family has long been at the heart of it. I'm not yet clear on why Susan must be involved and why she's so important. But I guess I will find out more in the sequel.

+ Lore - The vampire lore was awesome. I loved the fact that in order to have been chosen by a vampire to be turned, you had to of been so evil. Being a vampire is a curse. Only bestowed on ones so evil that they had no hope of ever becoming good in a normal human life. The idea is that a vampire will live longer and eventually see the error of their ways and become good. I loved that their were hints that Paul, Raphael's Grand-Sire, may have been Paul from the bible. I loved all the little bits of Christianity added in.

+ Romance - The relation between Raphael and Susan starts off slow. Susan doesn't quite trust him, after all he is a vampire and he openly admits to having been super evil enough to have been cursed a vampire. But she soon sees that Raphael is far better than some, and eventually he realizes that he'd do anything to protect her. I especially loved that when Susan's life was in danger, Raphael lost it, and threatened to kill. I liked that he still had a little badness in him.

- Side Characters - David & Wendy. Now this book is written in 3rd person (books written in 3rd person are so much better!), so there are some scenes that Raphael and Susan aren't in and they have David's story line. Personally I have no idea why David was in this book. I found his path to be a little boring and he just didn't do it for me. I think it could have been fine with out him. On the other hand though I did enjoy Wendy, Susan's cousin, a little romance started to bloom between David & Wendy and I did find it sweet, but still I would have been fine without it.

+ World/Setting - Prague - I loved this! I don't think I've read an Urban Fantasy that has taken place in Europe before, and this was just a breath of fresh air! The side trip to France was also nice.

Favorite Part: Probably when Raphael got so mad at the innkeepers for giving them away.


Nit Picks - While I didn't have a problem with the bible verses at the beginning of each chapter, I would have appreciated it if they had been in a more contemporary version, so they would have been easier to understand.

Kiss Trilogy

Book #1 Kiss Of Night

Book #2 Kiss Of Death (2012)

Book #3 Kiss Of Revenge (2013)

1 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on September 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM said...

Great honest review. I loved this one too. (My review goes up in October)

I agree with you on when he gets mad at the innkeepers! ;)

David? I'm hoping she has more in store for him and his presence will make more sense later on.

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei