Feb 13, 2012

Review - The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Monday, February 13, 2012
The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff
Released: 2009
Rating: 4 out of 5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 368
Sexual Content: Minimal, mostly off screen.
Source: Purchased

GoodReads Summary:

The Gale family can change the world with the charms they cast, and they like to keep this in the family. Alysha Gale is tired of having all her aunts try to run her life, both personally and magically. So when the letter from her Gran arrives willing her a "junk" shop in Calgary, Alysha jumps at the chance. It isn't until she gets there that she realizes her customers are fey. And no one told her there's trouble brewing in Calgary-trouble so big that even calling in the family may not save the day...

My Thoughts:

If you've ever read anything by Tanya Huff, you'll be familar with her style. It's very unique and I have not read another author that comes close. You're very much thrown right into the action pretty much with little explination. It's like watching Star Wars for the first time, but you didn't get the words explaining whats going on floating through space first. You eventually catch on and figure out whats going on with this book, but I always finish reading them feeling like I've missed something. Don't get me wrong though I'm a big Huff fan, but I feel like I've got to be in the right mood before I pick one of her books up.

The Enchanted Emporium is no different, you're kind of thrown into the Gale family life, for a while I had trouble figuring out their family dynamic. There are like 50 aunts, maybe more..they are all loosly related, but the title Aunt is more about your level of power than having a sister or brother that has kids. Those in the Gale family that are called Aunts have the most power. Alysha is not an Aunt yet, but she has plenty of power and when her Gran dies she is sent to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, to investagate. (I do so love that most of Huff's books take place in Canada). She runs her Grans store that was willed to her, which is mostly a junk shop, but also carries unique magically items as well as clientel. With the help of some unusal characters they begin to unravel the mystery and what's going on in Calgary.

I do so love all the female character's in Huff's book. They are always strong females that don't let any man walk all over them, Alysha is no different, she can diffently hold her own. Overall I enjoyed this book and I will be picking up the next in the series.

Gale Women Series

Book #1 - The Enchanted Emporium
Book #2 - The Wild Ways

3 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com on February 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM said...

Sounds good. I'm a sucker magic shops. But I'm not sure I would like be plunked in like that either. I like how you compared it to Star Wars minus the floating texts.

Rebs @ Book-Rants on March 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM said...

Thanks!

GABY on April 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM said...

It sounds good, and it will be a great read for when I need a little bit more of action :)

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei