Feb 7, 2012

Review - Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Released: Jan 2011
Rating: 3 out of 5
Genre: YA PNR
Pages: 435
Sexual Content: Some Kissing
Source: Amazon

GoodReads Summary:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

My Thoughts:

Clara's part angel, all angel-bloods have a purpose. Clara's purpose is sent to her in the form of a vision. Starting slowly at first then giving more details the closer it comes to when the purpose should be fullfilled. Clara gets the vision many times in the book and it's kind of played on repeat. It didn't annoy me until I read the end which kind of made the purpose moot.

Clara's visions take her family to Jackon Hole where the vision is supposed to occur, she soon meets the boy, Christian, she sees in her vision at her new school, she spends time trying to get close to him so she can figure out what her purpose is. She's making progress when Christian leaves for the summer. Clara then falls in love when another boy, Tucker, at her school. I liked Tucker, he was sweet and funny. There romance was by far my favorite part of the story, them falling in love.

Clara's vision is to save Christian from a forest fire, when it comes time to it, she hears that Tucker is also trapped in the fire and Clara has to choose.

Now I would have been fine if that was it to the story, but its seems to me these days that having a girl who's an angel with a divine purpose plus a love triangle isn't enough..they have to go in and add Black Wings. "Evil" angels that want to kill the White Wings, the "good" angels. I find this whole part of the story superfluous. It didn't do anything for me as far as story went and I think the book would have been completely enjoyable without it. I'm assuming there will be more about this in the next one, but I don't think I was drawn in enought to want to pick it up.

I thought overall this was a cute light read, the writing was good, the characters were fine, but I had a few issues with the story line. There was nothing really wrong with this book, it just wasn't for me but I think many out there will enjoy it, especially those fans of the Fallen series


Book #1 Unearthly
Book #2 Hallowed
Book #3 TBA (2013)

6 comments:

Melanie on May 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM said...

Hmmm, I was initially intrigued by the cover of this book, but now that you've given me a bit more of the plot, it doesn't sound as good as I thought it did. Will you be continuing on with this series?

Rebs @ Book-Rants on May 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM said...

I don't think I will continue on, I might pick it up if it was $0.99 on the kindle or something, but I'd rather start a new series than continue on with one I wasn't fully taken with.

Kristin on June 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM said...

I have thought about reading this series, but this book kinda sounds just like every other angel book out there. hmm.. decisions, decisions.

The Vintage Bookworm on June 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM said...

I really liked this when I read it last year, I still need to read the sequel, though I have a copy of it so I should definitely get on that soon! Thanks for reminding me! Ha! Great review. =D

The Vintage Bookworm on June 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM said...

By the way, I forgot to say, if you want a unique angel book to read, try Angel Burn, by L.A. Weatherly. I recently read that and I loved it! The angels are BAD in this book! Like really bad!

Rebs @ Book-Rants on June 28, 2012 at 6:53 AM said...

I will take a look! Thanks!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei